Legacy Cobol Conversion & Modernization
VerraDyne provides full service turnkey migration from any application currently running on legacy platform to run on a Windows .net platform using MicroFocus Visual Cobol or Fujitsu .Net as programming language, Programs also can be converted to VB.NET or C# programming languages.
- Program logic is converted to Selected language
- Presentation Layer(Screens) is converted to ASPX webforms or windows Winform
- The user interface for applications migrated to use ASPX webforms is the web browser on the users client PC and connection to the applications server(s) is by the internet or the customers own intranet using the .net stateless user interface
- The user interface for applications migrated to use WINDOWS winforms is typically provided by using Remote DeskTop Connection, Citrix Winframe or similar instate user interface
- DataLayer (Indexed files) and legacy database is converted to relational database of choice
- Converted applications can be deployed in CLOUD or local servers
Whatever method is chosen, the customer can choose to have the user screens converted to look, feel, display and operate exactly the same as on the current screens or the customer can choose the have the screens converted to a full GUI interface; or anywhere in between.
Typically the core business logic of the application to be migrated is currently written in COBOL. The modern COBOLS provided by FUJITSU and MicroFocus both support full .net implementations and are both fully integrated into Microsoft Visual Studios. Most customers choose to have their core business logic remain in COBOL on the new .net platform; though the customer may choose to have the code converted to any language that is supported by Microsoft Visual Studios. The project differentiators of this language change are cost and time. Projects that migrate the COBOL code to another chosen language carry a significant increase in risk; which can only be mitigated by the project plan incorporating extensive testing of the migrated system.
There are a number of migration issues and choices for the customer to consider and evaluate. VerraDyne has the knowledge and experience to provide the advice and guidance to enable the customer to make the right choices that best fits both their current situations and forward strategic plans. To facilitate this, VerraDyne offers an on-site evaluation study tailored to each customer’s unique needs where VerraDyne and the customer work together to fully review all issues and document the choices that are available and the recommendations appropriate to each choice. The study also constructs and documents the project plan based on the most highly recommended solution.
Successful migration projects are founded on careful preparation, sound planning and project execution by project staff that have performed this kind of project many times and bring the knowledgeable and experience required to deliver another successful migration.
Cobol Migration & modernization